The Fair Work Ombudsman has updated the Fair Work Information Statement (FWIS) to make it easier for you to understand minimum workplace entitlements.
Employers have to give every new employee a copy of the Fair Work Information Statement (the FWIS https://bit.ly/2VXA6lc) before, or as soon as possible after, they start their new job.
The FWIS provides new employees with information about their conditions of employment.
The FWIS has information on:
- the National Employment Standards
- right to request flexible working arrangements
- modern awards
- making agreements under the Fair Work Act 2009
- individual flexibility arrangements
- freedom of association and workplace rights (general protections)
- termination of employment
- right of entry
- the role of the Fair Work Ombudsman and the Fair Work Commission.
Providing the FWIS
The FWIS can be given to new employees:
- in person
- by mail
- by email
- by emailing a link to the Fair Work Ombudsman website
- by fax.
Think a mistake might have been made?
Mistakes can happen. The best way to fix them usually starts with talking.
Check out the Fair Work Ombudsman Help resolving workplace issues section for practical advice on:
- figuring out if a mistake has been made
- talking to your employer or employee about fixing it
- getting help from us if you can’t resolve it.